DEFENCE SERVICES STAFF COLLEGE
The Defence Services Staff College is one of the oldest institutions in the country It was set up in India in the year 1905 as the Army Staff College at Deolali (near Bombay) and by 1907, it was relocated in Queta - now in Pakistan. On partition of the sub-continent, the Indian element moved to Wellington in peninsular India (South) in 1947. By 1950 it was progressively transformed into a fully integrated Defence Services Staff College, imparting training to middle level officers of the three Services; Army, Navy and Air Force, in the company of some officers from the Indian Civil Services, Para Military Forces and friendly foreign countries. Many graduates of this College have risen to top positions in their respective countries.
The aim of the Staff Course is to train selected officers of the three Services in command and staff functions in peace and war in own services, inter-service and joint service environment as also to provide related general education to enable them to perform effectively in staff appointments tenable by Major to Colonels in the Army and equivalent ranks in the Navy and Air Force. The College promotes jointmanship, fostering deeper understanding amongst the Services, so that true synergy can be achieved on the battlefield.
The Defence Services Staff College is affiliated to the University of Madras, which awards M Sc (Defence and Strategic Studies) degree to all students who qualify on the course. Students are awarded the symbol ‘PSC’ (passed staff course) on successful completion of training. The College also provides research facilities to Defence Officers for M Phil and Ph D degrees of the Madras University.
Whilst curricular activities find the pride of place, outdoor sports and cultural activities are also encouraged to promote overall development of the officers.
The crest of the College is an ‘Owl’ perched on crossed swords, with the motto "Yuddam Pryagya" - To War with Wisdom. Stamp issued to commemorate Golden Jubilee of the institution.
Date of Issue: 16.4.1998